Saturday, October 16, 2004

Parent / Child Relationship

Arggg!!! Why is it that at 36 years old - my dang step-dad can still make me feel so bad?

Am I emotionally retarded or something????

We just had the most ridiculous conversation about when J., my sister and I picking up furniture from them...

I was generally confused about what and when he was expecting ufrom us - after we hung up, I could tell he was miffed with me.

Searching my brain for what I did wrong and fearing he may have come across as an ungrateful bratty kid - I called him back to be sure he understood where I was coming from with my questions and to make sure to express my appreciation for their generosity.

What I got for my fence mending effort was more of the "I'm pissed at you" speech, lecture and tone.

So (taking the high road again, I apologize for everything can imagine I might have said to have placed myself on the receiving end of his wrath.

Would you believe it wasn't good enough?????!!!!

What's worse....he wouldn't even tell me why he was mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He gave me some mumbo jumbo about..."If you were a child, as your parent I would need to discuss this with you, but as an adult, I do not have to"....

To which I replied "isn't communication the basis for a healthy relationship Dad?....If you're not willing to talk this out with me, I guess that's your choice...I just need to let you know that this is exactly the sort of thing that makes our relationship difficult at times"

He said "Yes, I know", chewed me out a little more and hung up........

Now I ask .....exactly who is the child here?????

I know he is being unreasonable and that this is entirely his issue, not mine...

But I am so torked off right now I can't even sleep....Why do I care so much when my parents are mad at me????

1 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

Isn't it great you are more of an adult than your dad? Just kidding...that totally bites. This is funny, ..."If you were a child, as your parent I would need to discuss this with you, but as an adult, I do not have to"....
Did you ever get your furniture? or find a company?

October 19, 2004 at 8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home